A Century of Educational Service

From segregation to diversity

Only girls attended the Ave Maria school. Since 1942 village boys had gone to a different school run by the Frères de Sainte-Croix. That school was housed in a building that was later moved to rue Western in 1950 to become the Frère-André school. Girls studied at the convent of the Sœurs de la Présentation de Marie. Divisions along gender lines only applied to classes in the village; boys and girls in the rural schools were taught together.

AM 5-3

The first boys’ school later became a private residence on rue Western
Credits: Héritage Sutton Archives

Académie Frère André - École pour garçons 730/K/002

The residence of the Frères de Sainte-Croix and the Frère-André School
Credits: Héritage Sutton Archives

AM 5-4

The Soeurs de la Présentation de Marie's convent is the Villa Châteauneuf today
Credits: Héritage Sutton Archives


Graduation ceremony:
Back row: Lucette Breton,  Jocelyne Bonneau, Curé Gilbert, Danielle Morin, Evelyne Larivière
Front row: Jocelyne Morin, Diane Tremblay.
Credit: Évelyne Larivière-Bourgeois Archives

Starting in the 1960s, both sexes attended the Frère-André school and the Ave Maria school, so  classes gradually became more mixed. Josée Barrette tells us there was considerable movement back-and-forth between the schools.